Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tonight's dinner....Crockpot cilantro lime chicken (a hit at my house!)

I need to share another Pinterest find that has been a huge hit at my house.  It makes for a simple, fast and easy dinner while being pretty low cal.



In a slow cooker, mix together:

One 24-ounce jar medium or mild salsa
Juice from one lime
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
One 1.25-oz. package taco seasoning
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)

Add 4-6 boneless chicken breast halves (completely defrosted) to the slow cooker and coat with the salsa mixture. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours (I only cook mine 3-4 hours.  I did it longer the first time and the kids said it was too dry)

Serve the chicken with the salsa mixture spooned over the top. If you're feeling crazy, throw a dollup of sour cream, some shredded cheese on top with some crushed tortilla chips.  This is also delicious as a taco filling or in a taco salad. 

Served with this rice for a great combo (thanks to Skinny Taste for this recipe....one of my favorite sites!!!)

Chipotle's "Skinny" Cilantro Lime Rice
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes  
Servings: 4  Size: 3/4 cup  Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 201.0 • Fat: 3.4 • Carbs: 37.4 • Fiber: 0 • Protein: 4.0 g 
  • 1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
  • 1/2 lime, juice of
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
  • 3 tsp vegetable oil

In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low andcover about 15 minutes. Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute.

In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and remaining oil and toss until completely mixed.


I apologize for the terrible photo quality here.  Apparently, when it is time for dinner I am so ready for feed (obsessed, yes I know) that the only camera close is my cell phone.  I promise to try to get better photos soon!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment