Thursday, February 16, 2012

Exercise - where to begin??

For those of you that have been following my progress, you may remember that I bought a wii fit board/game and had started using it.  You also may have noticed that I haven't been posting much about my progress there.  No, you haven't been missing the posts. They weren't there.  I will admit that I fell off the exercise wagon.  Probably better for me than falling off the food wagon.  As I mentioned in another post, I have realized that I think my most successful plan is to start strong with one new habit before trying to add another.  I don't think I could handle too much of this major change (and this is major for me) all at once.  I firmly believe that could very likely have sent me back to my old ways.

So I had to ask myself what was going to help me be successful in getting to my goal of consistent exercise?  I ended up with the same answer I had when it came to food...find something that I like, that I can live with, and  that won't make it seem so much like work.  Hmmmmm.....I don't like any of it.  Ok, so what activity do I hate the least?  My go-to activity at the gym has always been the treadmill.  I can listen to music or watch tv, talk to a friend, read a magazine....lots of flexibility.

So the challenges I have with the treadmills at the Y?

  • When to go - (see Exercise - the bane of my existence for my detailed reasons) 
  • Getting to watch my OWN shows - how great would it be to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by clearing my DVR backlog while working out???  AWESOME!
  • Feeling self conscious in front of others (my body image, speed, etc)
  • I am sure I had other issues in my head getting in my way too
So thanks to our tax return and as a reward to myself for 6 weeks of good progress with the food part of this journey, I decided to get a treadmill for myself.  I am hoping to make it more convenient and accessible and harder to ignore.  Now to just get it setup and to GET MOVING.

Check back for an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment