Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Single Serving fruit crisp

So with this recipe I am going to combine two of my favorite things....food and Pinterest!

I love dessert.  I have such a sweet tooth.  I try to always save enough points so that I can indulge in a sweet treat at the end of the day. I am really trying to watch my portions these days.  I tend to buy prepackaged items so I can grab and go after a long day.  But more importantly, buying prepackaged keeps me from eating the entire pan in one sitting.  :-)  But sometimes I feel like something a little more homemade.

So here is where my grandma's amazing apple crisp enters in.  What is more comforting that that?  And what I love most about this recipe is that I can make a "skinny" version very easily without compromising much of the flavor at all.

My minor problem is that with this recipe the family loves it so much the pan is gone in no time.  Either that or I love it so much that I feel compelled to eat nearly the entire pan on my own in a matter of a couple of days (yes I have no self-control or willpower).  So enter Pinterest to the rescue.  I saw a pin about making individual servings of lots of desserts (pies, cheesecakes, cakes, you name it) in a jar.  You can freeze them and make them when you want.  Hmmmm....that would prob solve my portion control issues...if it's frozen like a brick it's hard for me to eat on a whim.  So I wondered what it would be like with grandma's crisp recipe.  So a few weeks ago I decided to give it a try.  What a great idea!  It is the perfect portion and having them frozen means I can indulge in a treat once a week or so without all the hassle.

So here's my recipe....I hope you enjoy.  :-)




Crisp topping
1 cup four
1 cup brown sugar (I use Splenda mix)
1 handful oatmeal
1 stick of butter, soft (I use Brummel and Brown yogurt butter)
Mix together.

Fruit mix
You can do a wide variety of fruit - when making a large pan my family loves green apple!  My favorite is triple berry.  For apple, I peel and slice thinly and mix with ground cinnamon and Splenda white sugar to taste.  For the berry I just buy the frozen blueberry, raspberry and blackberry mix, thaw it and add Splenda white sugar to taste. You could also easily do the same with frozen peaches.  Or use fresh fruit (I just don't seem to have the time or energy for it these days!)

Place fruit mixture in half pint jars to nearly full.  (if doing the apple slices, make sure to cut them up small or they won't fit well in the jar).  I have used both the regular and wide mouth jars - both seem to work well.  Allow enough room on top to add crisp topping.  Pack tightly with a spoon.  Put on jar lid and freeze.

When ready to cook, remove from freezer and take off lid.  No need to defrost, you can place them straight into the oven to bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.  I do put a cookie sheet under the jars in case they bubble over a little.

We like to top with one scoop of low fat/calorie ice cream or frozen yogurt.  Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment