Thursday, February 16, 2012

My other addiction....Pinterest!!

Ok so I am totally addicted to Pinterest!! (is there anyone left that isn't???)  As usual, I was slow to jump on the bandwagon.  I had head about it for a while, but took me a while to check it out to see what all the hype was about.  Well look out world!  I am now an avid pinner!  It is my daily treat and something I look forward to doing after a long day.  It stimulates my creative nature and soothes the inner me.

I have been using it primarily to get some new ideas for recipes.  Things that are healthier than the stuff I grew up cooking (and seem to be the only things in my food portfolio).  I tend not to want venture out of my food "safety circle".  I cook the same foods, I order the same foods at restaurants.  It is a real challenge for me to try  new things.  But when beginning this journey, I knew one of the things I need to change was the food I eat.  I needed to look for healthier options.  But knowing how much I love to eat, I also knew it was critical for me to find things I would like to eat or I would never be successful.  I didn't want it to be "diet food" because I knew that would leave me feeling deprived and I would (for the zillionth time) fall off the wagon and go back to my old, comfortable, unhealthy, yet delicious comfort foods.

I had recently discovered Pinterest via a friend, more for crafting and home ideas, but I quickly realized the world of food that was there too.  Being a visual person, I loved the photos.  I love other people sharing what they like.  The downside is you have to sift through the TONS of unhealthy yet yummy looking dishes to find the gems of "skinny", but I really haven't struggled with this as much as I thought I would.  I was on a mission!

My first step was to begin pinning some ideas.  Then I began printing the ones I thought I would like to start trying.  Then I made my grocery list for what I needed and off I went.  I tried one new recipe, then another.  I think the number of new recipes we eat a week is greater than the "classics" that I cook these days.  And the family doesn't seem to mind.  There have been a couple not so successful attempts, but they haven't kicked me out of the kitchen yet.  In fact there are a couple of recipes they keep asking me "when are we having that?".

So check out the Food category here on the blog where I will be posting my favorites (and probably telling you the adventures of some of my "not so favorites" too).  Try them too and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment