Saturday, March 10, 2012

Slow and steady vs fad diets

Having been stuck at a plateau for almost 2 months and not making much progress, I was starting to get really discouraged.  What was I doing wrong?  I was eating the same things I had been eating.  I was eating much better than I had been, why wasn't the scale moving?  I don't have the answer to that question.  Personally, I blame hormones.  I am getting older and it is getting even harder to get any weight to come off.

They say that slow and steady is the healthiest way for you to lose weight and the best way to keep it off.  But I will admit that I was tempted to start looking at other options.  I have a friend that is using a meal replacement shake diet. She is actually a distributor and I keep seeing posts on her facebook of "Suzie lost 7 ponds in 7 days" and "Joe lost 17 pounds in one month" ....you get the picture.  I want results like that!  I want my scale to jump that quickly.  But then I came to a realization.  Those people are only getting "food" for one meal a day....dinner.  They are drinking a shake for breakfast and for lunch.  Honestly, I like food too much I am not sure I could do that.  My gut tells me I would be feeling deprived and frustrated and would not be successful.

I have had friends that have done the HTC diet with good results.  I looked at the meal plan for that.  Talk about restrictive and YUCK! Only tiny meals, bland food, little variety.  My worst nightmare.

And then I had a conversation with my hairdresser yesterday.  Her aunt is doing some sort of fad program....and has lost some incredible amount of weight in a short amount of time. But here's the kicker - she only gets 800 calories a day and it costs like $200.  Again, I think I there is no earthly way I could be successful at that!  I just really like food too much.  To feel like I could never go out to dinner, or eat a dessert, or anything.....ugh!  Not for me.

I do wish progress and success to everyone out there, whatever you plan of choice is.  Find something that will motivate you and work for you.  I firmly believe there is no right plan for everyone out there.  Different plans work for different people and body types.  But I personally will continue to plug away, slow and steady yet enjoying my food and new recipes I am trying.  I will make progress and I will be my own success story and I will be making changes to my life to allow myself and my family to be healthy.

Good luck to you, whichever path you take on your journey.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am only back on March in your journey but my journey is very similar. I feel like I'm reading my own journey on yours!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, so glad you found the blog and especially that you are taking the time to go back and read from the beginning. WOW have things changed for me since I started!! lol I think it is so powerful to read about another person's journey that mirrors your own. Makes you realize that you are not the only one that feels that way, even though it often feels like that!!! Good luck to you! Keep me posted on your progress!!! :o)

      Delete