Saturday, March 24, 2012

Overnight oatmeal....what a flop!

Well, I suppose statistically it was inevitable.  I have found so many recipes on Pinterest and the majority of them I absolutely LOVED!  A few were so-so.  But I had yet to find any that I just hated and would vow to never make again....until this week.  So while at first I was disappointed with not having a complete winning record, I quickly realized that 100% success rate was unrealistic.  So I prided myself that it took this long to find a "flop" and celebrated the number of successes I have to date.

Since I am not a morning person, I thought that a quick and easy breakfast meal that was something different than I have been eating would be a great change of pace.  So when I came across the "overnight oatmeal" recipes with some many variations and positive comments, I thought it sounded like just what I was looking for.   But oh was I sadly mistaken.

I got them ready at night before I went to bed.  I tried 2 different variations - a berry and a vanilla/cinnamon.  It's basically oatmeal, yogurt, and some kind of liquid.  You refrigerate overnight and the oats are supposed to soak up the moisture in the liquid and soften without cooking and is a cold cereal.  But to my horror, it was like eating flavored glue.  It was horrible.  I even added some no-cal sweetener....not any better.

So I have put that recipe in the "I will never make THAT again" section in my recipe book.  I would love to hear if any of you have tried similar recipes and had any success.  I hate having a fail on my record....my competitive streak coming out again :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment