Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Skinny Chicken Fried steak - for my hubby

My hubby is a pretty classic, homestyle guy when it comes to food.  He has been a great sport of my imposed dietary changes for the family and has eaten everything I have made for him, usually with more enthusiasm than I have!  But whenever I ask him what he would like to request for dinner, he always requests the classics - chilli, meatloaf, etc.  So I know he misses those comfort meals!  I try to make them healthier (using ground turkey and other lighter ingredients, going easier on the portions, etc) so we still get to eat them, just less frequently and healthier.  So when I saw this recipe on Pinterest (thanks http://www.laaloosh.com - this is a good website with weight watchers recipes!!), I knew I had to give it a try for him!!!


I will say, I thought it wasn't bad.  Not something I personally would crave, but a good change of pace and something different.  I will say that it was quite filling, which was nice!!!  I found the original recipe hard to follow, so I adjusted the flow of the instructions a bit in hopes of making it easier to make next time.  Let me know what you think!!!


Country Fried Steak and Gravy Recipe
Ingredients:
- 1 lb lean cube steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 Fiber One cereal, processed very fine, to breadcrumb consistency
- - 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
 1 ¼ cups fat free beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
-1/4 cup cornstarch, plus 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare 3 shallow bowls:
1.      ¼ cup all-purpose flour on a large plate.
2.    2 egg whites (lightly beaten)
3.    “Crumbs” – mix together
a.    ¼ cup Fiber one cereal crushed to breadcrumbs
b.    ¼ cup whole wheat flour
c.    ¼ cup cornstarch
d.    1 tsp garlic powder
e.    1 tsp paprika

·         Season both sides of steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
·         Dredge the steak in the flour, shaking off excess;
·         dip in the egg white
·         then dredge in the Fiber One/flour mixture – DO NOT TOSS the rest of this mixture!
·         Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonfat cooking spray, and
·         heat over medium-high heat.
·         Reduce heat to medium and add steak
·         cook until browned on both sides, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes total.
·         Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. 
·         Transfer the steak to the prepared baking sheet
·         Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
·         Meanwhile, add broth to the pan and boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1 cup, approx 3 to 5 minutes.
·         Whisk water and the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth.
·         Add to broth, stirring to keep from clumping.
·         Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the left over Fiber One/flour mixture.
·         Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
·         Stir in buttermilk;
·         Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
·         Serve the steak topped with the gravy.

Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 steak with 1/4 of the gravy
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 288 calories; 8 g fat; 14 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 3 g fiber


No comments:

Post a Comment