Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ranch dressing - the true test

I recently saw a recipe posted on Pinterest claiming to make Ranch dressing that tasted just like the full cal version with only 55 calories for a 1/4 cup serving.....really??  Anyone that knows me knows what a Ranch connoisseur I am.  That is one of the few things that I will sacrifice my weight watchers points for the full calorie version.  But a sacrifice it is.  Did you know that the full buttermilk version has 110 cal and 17% of daily intake of fat for a 2T serving size (it didn't list the grams for the prepared)?  And the low fat version still has 70 calories and 5g of fat, again for only 2T.  I don't know about you, but 2T of ranch just isn't enough for me!!!

But the low fat/low cal versions just don't taste the same.  I have tried and tried but just can't bring myself to lose the flavor to save the points.  Fortunately I have discovered Raspberry vinaigrette so I am not eating ranch as much as I once was, but I still like a good ranch salad.  And especially with summer coming up, I am sure I will be eating even more salads.

So I decided to give it a try.  I mean really, what did I have to lose? Worst case I wasted the ingredients and pour then entire thing down the drain.

So I got the ingredients at the store and tried it out last night.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised!  It was good, especially for so few calories/points.  I actually thought it was too rich.  So I will list the recipe I used and the modifications that I plan to try the next time.

Protein Ranch dressing
1 cup cottage cheese - (I used 1/2 cup low fat and 1/2 cup fat free)
3-4 tsp Buttermilk Ranch seasoning - for me, the whole packet appeared to be 3 tsp.
1/4 cup water (can use milk, but will add calories) - I just used water.  Add more liquid if the consistency is too thick for your taste.

Add ingredients to blender and blend until smooth (about 3 minutes).

This was only 4 WWpp for THE ENTIRE RECIPE!  You can get 4-6 servings from it.  That is less than 1 point per serving!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a little too rich.  I think next time I will try adding more cottage cheese - since the recipe on the packet calls for 1 cup mayo and 1 cup buttermilk, I will try to increase the cottage cheese by 1/2 and depending on how that turns out, I may even increase another 1/2 cup to 2 cups total to see if it evens out the ranch flavor.

So if you are a ranch lover like me, give this recipe a try!  Save your points for dessert!  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment