So a few self-realizations in the few days I have been doing the body by vi shakes this week.
1) I am still really struggling with portion size and overeating. I am still getting too much of my "entree" and filler on my plate and less of the veggies than I should be. I continue to not want to stop eating and I have been REALLY bad lately about sneaking a little more food while "putting dinner away".
- I think part of this is the stress I have been under lately. I am a stress eater, so in the evening it's easy to want to keep eating out of that habit.
- I have been so busy that I haven't been as faithful to my meal planning and grocery shopping, that I am rushing and not getting dinner ready at a reasonable time in the evening.
- Because of that I think another struggle here is that we have been eating so late lately (not getting dinner on the table until between 7 and 8) that I am getting overly hungry and then eating too quickly so I don't realize I am getting full until it's too late and I have overeaten.
2) I am a food addict. I just like to eat. I like the way it tastes. I like the way it makes me feel while eating (until I get guilty about eating too much).
3) The shakes help me with portion control - the shake recipe is always the same size and I don't have to worry about putting too much on my plate.
4) I like feeling like I am eating sweets and desserts with the shakes (triple chocolate, cinnamon bun, etc). I don't feel the "need" for dessert at night nearly as much
So a few changes I will be trying to make for this week:
- Change to having shakes for breakfast and dinner (instead of lunch).
- I can fix my shake for dinner when I get home from work, hopefully preventing me from getting overly hungry and falling into the overeating trap.
- I will take dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. This will allow me to pack a more portion controlled size meal and not be around the extra food to eat more than I should.
Hopefully this change will help me stay on track. Stay tuned for updates on this experiment.